Tomatoes have many health benefits: They can help lower cholesterol, fight against heart disease, and according to some studies, even prevent some forms of cancerous cell formation. Tomatoes have a high level of Lycopene, which is an anti-oxidant that can fight against those cancerous cell formations and also flush out free radicals in the body. The anti-oxidants in the tomato actually help to give it the rich red color! Since tomatoes are a popular summer and fall treat, here’s a great recipe to try at home.
Cherry Tomato Ragout
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes, any and all varieties encouraged, sliced in half (or quarters if they’re big)
- 3 sprigs of whatever fresh herbs you want—thyme and oregano work well
- ½ cup sliced basil
- 1 shallot minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Get a pan really hot.
- Heat olive oil for a few seconds.
- Add shallot and herbs (not basil) and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and stir around the pan for a minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, until tomatoes have softened and juice is released.
- Add balsamic and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add basil.
- Taste and season as needed.
Serve however you like!